jore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Recommendations: 186
Last recommendation: 03 Aug 2019
Flag: France

Re: LATEST NEWS concerning the French ASTERIX coin

Postby jore » Sat 16 Feb 2019, 10:40

This is a very strange idea from MDP to propose this coin only in coincard in limited edition and in same time will mint 10.000.000 coin about Berlin Wall.
It will be so simple to share mintage 50/50 between these 2€ cc. 5.000.000 for circulation, 10.000 BU in coincard and 10.000 BE in case as usual.
Support euroswapper forum, donate !

zvenket
Donator
Donator
Recommendations: 315
Last recommendation: 15 Nov 2019
Flag: Slovenia

Postby zvenket » Sat 16 Feb 2019, 18:20

The primary purpose of commemorative coins should be to commemorate and promote important events. It was never a problem to buy any coin at banks. I remember that Slovenian Tolar gold coins were at stock for years, if not even for decades, with mintage of 1.000 coins.
This was before Euro era...:-)
With introducing Euro, number of (Euro) coin collectors dramatically increased. But this was still not a problem. Mintages of 2€ commemorative coins were at least 1 million, which was surely more than enough that each collector was able to get coin for his collection without problems and at decent price.
The first exception was the issue of Finnish 2004 2€ CC coins in mixed rolls. But this was reasonable decision which was not accepted to make money. At last, the aim of commemorative coins is to circulate and promote. After that, some other random events happened. Low mintage of Slovenia 2007 2€ CC "ToR" coins (this happened because of occupancy of mints and late decision that Slovenia will also issue "ToR" coin), coins with wrong maps before and after 10 new countries joined Euro zone in 2007, other unwanted errors, ...
These events and especially market prices of these coins made coin dealers think. They realized that they could make big money with Euro coins. I follow prices of Euro coins right from the beginning and I still can't explain big difference in prices of some coins with similar mintages and comparable selling policy. The only reasonable explanation is speculations of coin dealers, which work hand in hand with mints. Just think of EU directive, where permitted quantity of 2€ CC coins was changed from 2 to 3 coins per year. This was surely not done because of collectors.
Lately almost all countries and mints think only about how they can get as much money as possible. It's funny (or sad), but I've got feeling that they do all they can to make buying of coins for collectors as difficult as possible.
I don't want to quit collecting Euro coins, because I mainly collect "coins which were and are official currency at territory where I live". So Euro is part of this collection. But I must say that I'm getting sick of Euro and all problems with which I must deal to get ordinary 2€ CC coin at decent price.
Because of this I am really not sure how long will I continue...

szmata
Donator
Donator
Recommendations: 657
Last recommendation: 04 Dec 2019

Postby szmata » Sat 16 Feb 2019, 19:02

I agree completely with you.

This is why I swap (and sell in some cases) at face value...and Boycott all coincards

joseeuro
User
User
Recommendations: 85
Last recommendation: 15 Nov 2019
Flag: Portugal

Postby joseeuro » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 14:30

One of the problems of the belgica is the prices to the resellers.

The more quantity you buy the more discount you have, (without limit), ie it is possible for a large seller to buy at a price of 4 or 5 euros.

That destroys the price, and it makes the one who buys the mint feel cheated.

Yes, there are no 300,000 collectors, this is easy to see for the Luxembourg 2018 coins.

About series 1 cent to 2 € ... well 50,000 collectors (not not ...).

The time of madness is over, and some articles in commercial terms have become rubbish, especially series BU, Proof ... (many coins silver and gold, you only can sold only down the metal price).
Euro Coin Catalog: http://WWW.JOSEEEURO.COM

luit
Administrator
Administrator
Recommendations: 323
Last recommendation: 02 Dec 2019
Flag: Netherlands

Postby luit » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 16:35

joseeuro wrote:Yes, there are no 300,000 collectors, this is easy to see for the Luxembourg 2018 coins.

About series 1 cent to 2 € ... well 50,000 collectors (not not ...).

Since Monaco 2015 2 euro is only 10,000 and Monaco 2007 is only 20,000 there are far from 300,000 2 euro collectors with a complete collection.
Everybody has his own price limit...

Series 1 cent to 2 € have a look at Lithuania 2018 with 5,000 coins, max 5,000 collectors have a complete collection....

magneto
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Recommendations: 108
Last recommendation: 21 Jul 2019
Flag: Greece

Postby magneto » Sat 23 Feb 2019, 06:10

hi i agree with elvis, with the boomerang issue, i was collecting 2 euro cc 2007 to 2013 all countries (old euroswapper forum very traffic days),
then the increase amount of mint issues and the difficult to find them,trying to bother me and then I narrow my collection and later I almost stop.
of course every collector has his own limit but not many collector willing to pay 10euro to get an 2 euro coin and this will limit 2euro collectors more.

luit
Administrator
Administrator
Recommendations: 323
Last recommendation: 02 Dec 2019
Flag: Netherlands

Postby luit » Sat 23 Feb 2019, 11:16

In https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... 32012R0651 you can read:
Member States whose currency is the euro should also be able to issue 2-euro commemorative coins to celebrate specific subjects, subject to limits set per year and per issuing Member State for the number of issues of such coins. It is necessary to establish certain volume limits for commemorative euro coins in order to ensure that such coins remain a minor percentage of the total number of the 2-euro coins in circulation. Such volume limits should, however, allow for the issuance of a sufficient volume of coins to ensure that commemorative euro coins can circulate effectively.

I think the intention of this EU guideline is clear, but the word "should" before the sentence I marked red makes it a bit vague, member states should comply to this rule but what if they don't? It is not a law...

Luit

JDBF
User
User
Recommendations: 5
Last recommendation: 06 May 2019
Flag: Belgium

Postby JDBF » Sat 23 Feb 2019, 21:14

I was amazed about a story of a reseller. What a difference with before. I remember the days which Magneto also was referring to. I was very busy with swaps, may be compareble to now to complete my collection. But then it was many swapping rolls which i try to limit now.

I remember the good old days going to the nbb (National bank Brussels) i was able to get the rolls i wanted and i could swap them here for other countries.

I had to quit for private reasons like family and housing but followed the Belgian coins a very little bit. I received also mails from nbb with more and more limiting offerings. In the beginning it was as many as you want so very easy to swap but then they decided to limit.

Why? Because in their eyes there was to many speculation. So they made first 5-6 million, then 2 or less and then their was 2014.

The Belgian red cross, also the red day for swappers because one roll/identity. That day even resellers could only get 1 rolll so what they did was encouraging other people to go to the nbb to wait for them. In return they got 100 + 50 nominal. Reseller organised good and beverages for those waiting. BUT early in the morning before opening more resellers came. Those heard that the people overthere didn’t know why they where there only they could make 100€.
So other foreign resellers offered more than the 100. Result was the first reseller lost many of the people he had mobilized to work for him.

Result was price increased like never before.

But the nbb wished to halt speculation, well the helped only to get more speculation. In fact 300.000 is more than enough nowadays.

Those who are thinking to quit, rethink because one day you will want to restart. Like i did. Only.. it takes many effort and time to complete now. Also way more expensive. Just go on. Forget the package material and take the coin out. It’s for the fun and why have a value thing! This forum! We somehow still able to help each other. But yes, it will become harder and harder because more countries will make the move to coincards or limit mintages.

We are the speculators in the eyes of the mint but did you see who is the real speculator? Who is issuing so a limited quantity? Who is selling 2 euro for more than 10 euro??? Them!

And i will not be the hypocrite to say i never bought rolls and waiting to increase a little in value to buy more expensive stuff. How could a regular workingclass buy so many different issues. You cannot! Some here in Europe earning may be 400€ monthly. Even with 1500 you haven’t enough.

Look to Monaco, i really understand why many say: we skip them. Tell your wife (or husband) “honey, i used the bank account to buy a beautiful proof set of San Marino, but also a proofset of Monaco and yes i bought the two euro’s to”.

JDBF
User
User
Recommendations: 5
Last recommendation: 06 May 2019
Flag: Belgium

Postby JDBF » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 20:28

I saw the image of the coin. Price 10 euro / coincard

jore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Recommendations: 186
Last recommendation: 03 Aug 2019

Postby jore » Sun 17 Mar 2019, 14:21

Last informations confirmed, there will be 300.000 coins in BU and 10.000 in proof.
300.000 coins in 3 differents coincards (100.000 of each): Asterix, Obelix and Idefix will be the theme of these 3 coincards.
Issuing price: 10€ per coincard, 20€ proof in box and certificate.
This year Mdp change coincard size and produce it now at credit card size.
Attachments
asterix.jpg
asterix.jpg (45.15 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Support euroswapper forum, donate !