JDBF
User
User
Recommendations: 4
Last recommendation: 05 Mar 2019
Flag: Belgium

Collecting PP Proof 2 euro commemorative

Postby JDBF » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 22:26

I have a question about collecting PP coins.
For me its a dilemma what to do? Whether collecting and storing in leuchtturm wood box or leaving in their original cases?

It’s very annoying aswell that Monaco now issues their coins as PP only. Because now i refuse to collect them next to my UNC coins in a leuchtturm box.

So i plan to buy a new box for only PP coins.

What do you guys do? You leave them in the blisters? You store them next to your UNC or FDC coins, or do you collect and store them separately?

Also some of those PP coins are available only in BU sets. Is it worth it to get them out of such a set or do you prefer to leave it in a set?

luit
Administrator
Administrator
Recommendations: 322
Last recommendation: 09 Apr 2019
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Collecting PP Proof 2 euro commemorative

Postby luit » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 07:14

JDBF wrote:What do you guys do? You leave them in the blisters? You store them next to your UNC or FDC coins, or do you collect and store them separately?

There is a third option: don't collect coins only in proof.....

It is difficult to decide, when left in their original package you get the feeling they are a separate part and don't really belong to your collection.
When you really want to have all 2 eurocoins, you also should buy the Luxemburg coins with different mintmark, which means you need a UNC coin, a BU/FDC coin and a proof coin.
When you want to have your collection uniform, you should keep those 3 coins in the same storage system, when you don't it looks like you have 3 different collections from which 2 are incomplete, but of course you can tell you have all different motives.

Luit

BadVariemai
Donator
Donator
Recommendations: 263
Last recommendation: 21 Feb 2019
Flag: Greece

Postby BadVariemai » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 18:19

I have two collections the UNC collection of 2E CC and the Proof Collection of 2E CC.
I have the UNC in caps and ENCAP and the Proof in caps (inside a case).
Prefer to have all the 2E coins together, so I remove them from the sets... sometime I buy from ebay only the 2E Proof instead of the whole set.
If you see it separately, like Luit said, both collections look incomplete, but at least, I know I have the coins :-) .
I don't collect the varieties in mintmarks (like Luxembourg and Malta) so I have 2 of 3 of such coins.
You can find my updated lists here! http://sites.google.com/site/vangeliz/

JDBF
User
User

Postby JDBF » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 12:01

Skipping pp coins is no option for me. I have allready a lot and i plan to collect them seperately in a box.

But i am dissapointed because Monaco has now only pp coins. Would like to had them fdc aswell. They make it harder to collect than before.

JDBF
User
User

Postby JDBF » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 12:04

Also i am hesitating what to do with the different mintmarks because if i don’t collect its not neccesairy to collect the different Marks on German coins to. I like to collect adfgj always next to eachother.

luit
Administrator
Administrator

Postby luit » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 12:30

JDBF wrote:But i am dissapointed because Monaco has now only pp coins. Would like to had them fdc aswell. They make it harder to collect than before.

I don't see why it makes it harder to collect since you already have a lot of proof coins.
In an ideal world all coins would be available in FDC/BU or all all coins would be available in proof, but it simply is not an ideal world.
Personally I prefer FDC/BU because they feel more like "real" coins. Proof looks better, but is unrealistic as a coin.

luit
Administrator
Administrator

Postby luit » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 12:42

JDBF wrote:Also i am hesitating what to do with the different mintmarks

You might consider to collect only different mintmarks when there is a really good reason for the difference, other than just try to get collectors money.
Of course this is very difficult to decide.
I think the ADFGJ are not made up for collectors, but just to make it possible to identyfy which mint made the coin.
The Luxemburg coins with different mintmarks in the proof sets which contain CC coins from past years might also have a good reason, at least those in the set 2004-2006. Maybe they did not know in 2004 they would issue such a set and did not save coins for the set. Then those coins where produced in another mint and got other mintmark. But for the sets after that set it would have been possible to just produce the coins for the future set, so I suspect BCL of doing this for the only purpose of collecting extra money...
The different mintmarks on Greek 2002 coins have a good reason, Greece could not produce enough coins before 2002 because at a very late moment it was decided they should join the euro. So other mints helped.
Malta and different or no mintmarks just is a joke, no good reason at all, only generating profit by creating 3 different versions of the coin.

Luit

P.S. I forgot the so called Dutch transition set with five series of coins years 2015-2017, this also has as only purpose to get money from collectors who had at the time the set was issued already got 3 of the 5 series and had to pay an extra 200 euro for 2 series of coins to be complete.
I think this is a shame!

JDBF
User
User

Postby JDBF » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 18:40

It started when they issued 2005,2006,2008
Treaty of Rome was i not interested to have proof. I started in 2008, so i bought the Belgian Human Rights proof. Then i bought the Belgian Atomium and also 2005.

Actually before 2008 i wasn’t not knowing what those different design coins were. I was more interested in going out, so i was not yet interested until i had an accident and had to recover from it so i had plenty of time to mind other things which i know they were there but had no time to discover.

I always had the commemorative coins circulated. After the accident i was looking on the web and saw other commemorative coins. Borghesi, Vatican, a complete set TOR, etc..

So it started i began collecting and switching my circulated coins in UNC then in Proof.
I never knew about different mintmarks only those one Germany which i know they represent the coinhouse.

I know the story about the proof coins of luxembourg, we were all surprised then about their box with proof coins. Asking ourselves huh?? What about the mintage numbers of the first ones?? They have always been very special folk in that tiny country overthere. (Joking)

JDBF
User
User

Postby JDBF » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 19:03

I think making money is the first concern of royal mint and the other minthouses. So i stopped collecting the regular coins.
Only interested in commemorative 2 euro.it’s expensive enough to collect. Very time consuming and takes a lot of space. I am happy with the 2 euro’s. Plenty of joy to collect.

In The Netherlands the mintmarks had to do something with another mint master Stephan Satijn. Mintmark Bridge. Other were of Bruinsma, Peters and Brouwer. But for now i am not interested in BU sets.

I want to update my collection of 2 euro. I was a long time not interested because we bought a property, build a house and did a lot by ourselves so collecting was not something i did in the past years. Happy now i found my way back to the forum. I was a little bit shocked when i saw how far behind i was. :-)

Just bought some Belgian PP Coins today. Elisabeth and 2011. So i am half passed way for Belgium. I will skip the common shared designs like ToR, EMU, TY.

luit
Administrator
Administrator

Postby luit » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 20:00

JDBF wrote:I was a long time not interested because we bought a property, build a house and did a lot by ourselves so collecting was not something i did in the past years. Happy now i found my way back to the forum. I was a little bit shocked when i saw how far behind i was. :-)

I know the feeling, for several reasons I did not have much time to collect and stopped buying BU sets, thanks to forum friends I kept my UNC 2 euro collection complete :D
Now I decided to make my BU collection complete, but it costs a lot of time and even more money...
Luckily Vatican, San Marino and Monaco were up to date.

Luit