Looking for better hosting

Post your questions, tips, suggestions for the webmaster
Robin
Administrator
Administrator
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Looking for better hosting

Postby Robin » Sat 14 Jan 2012, 17:10

luit wrote:Paid hosting indeed does not need to be expensive, but is also difficult to know which are good and which are not.
My problem with donation is that it should be fair, when we have 300 members all donating 1 euro each year we already have too much money :lol:

But I'm afraid that when everybody gets the same service, after a year nobody is paying anymore and costs are going on.
I even thought about just paying it myself, but when I see that caused by all the problems of last week I spend so much hours that I did not even find time to make deals for TYE coins for myself, I think that is not the way to go.
Don't get me wrong I like the challenges to get everything working and I still have a lot of ideas.
I also managed to restore the backup of the old euroswapper forum so that won't get lost either, in fact it would be possible to continue with the old forum when we accept that all files like attachments and avatars are lost, because they are not in the database but on the webspace of euroswapper.com.
I'm still looking for a way to copy those but did not find an automatic solution. I also look for possibilities to integrate the old forum in the new one, but that also seems not too simple.
It did some research with google and most problems with sites suspended by free hosting companies are a result of mass emails.
I have no idea why we get that problem, when I look in the member list I think most users look real users and the only think I can imagine is that the emails are caused by notifications for new posts.
Unfortunately I get zero support from those free hosting companies, so I do'nt know the exact cause.
They just send an email that the account is suspended and ask you to get in contact as soon as possible to get the site back online, but now it is almost a week ago I contacted the free hosting company and they still did not answer...

Luit

Some paid hostings are only €1,50 for a month....

Gunmoney
User
User
Recommendations: 220
Last recommendation: 09 Nov 2017
Flag: Ireland

Postby Gunmoney » Sat 14 Jan 2012, 20:53

Luit,
If you chose a hosting company and got a price for the year, and use a site like chipin.com for this year hosting. And once that is done and all paid up, start another round of chip in for next years fees, we will have 12 months to raise next years fee.

nestou
User
User
Recommendations: 307
Last recommendation: 18 Dec 2017
Flag: Greece

Postby nestou » Sat 14 Jan 2012, 21:03

Hi
very good idea Ian, i'm agree too ;)

Best regards
Nikos
sorry my english is not good!!!
also except the euro i collect coins from all over the world any offer is welcome.

jbeckers
User
User
Recommendations: 93

Postby jbeckers » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 10:59

Gunmoney wrote:Luit,
If you chose a hosting company and got a price for the year, and use a site like chipin.com for this year hosting. And once that is done and all paid up, start another round of chip in for next years fees, we will have 12 months to raise next years fee.

Hi Luit,

Maybe we can do the same as we do on "Munthunter". Also the same hostingparty.
People can donate an amount(as example €5 or €10) per year on a paypal account.
For these "donors" we can add extra sections in the boardindex what are only visible for them.
We also could say that only donors can place items in the section "For Sale"
Non-donors can only read the section "For Sale".

If you need any help with the board as administrator please let me know.

Best regards
Jan

dinamo_barabba
User
User
Recommendations: 67
Flag: Italy

Postby dinamo_barabba » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 16:50

Hello Luit,

I agree with jbeckers...

People can donate an amount and they have access for some private section on the forum (For sale section for example is a good idea)
I think is a good idea also marked this people with a sticker like "forum supporter" under nickname..

I think this is a good idea...

Many thanks for your great work Luit...
We trust in the future of this wonderful forum!

Best regards from Italy,
Giacomo

Gunmoney
User
User
Recommendations: 220
Last recommendation: 09 Nov 2017
Flag: Ireland

Postby Gunmoney » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 18:15

All good ideas, I for one would not want special access, or supporter tag, as I'm sure this would add extra work to Luit. There is other sites where you can pay, euroswappper.com was a great site built on trust and the support of members when needed. Those who want to pay to keep the site up and running should do so freely and with out reward.
Either way it is the admin and mods decision, and we should show support.

BadVariemai
Donator
Donator
Recommendations: 247
Last recommendation: 19 Dec 2017

Postby BadVariemai » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 23:46

Hello I agree with Ian that there is no need for special sections... and of course tags not required...
a few euros per year it's not a big deal and I think it will be easily gather the amount needed.
I think most important is to find a reliable host and see what's the amount needed.
Then it will be easy to gather it.

Vangelis

If I can help in any way... please let me know...
You can find my updated lists here! http://sites.google.com/site/vangeliz/

luit
Administrator
Administrator
Recommendations: 317
Last recommendation: 29 Jul 2016

Postby luit » Fri 17 Feb 2012, 08:24

As you might have seen, again a freehoster suspended our site.
In the meantime it becomes kind of routine to get everything up and running again, but it is not good this way because we loose some data everytime.
I have an agreement with a forumuser to get paid hosting when a small banner of his company will be placed on the site.
I think this is fair and should not cause problems.
Maybe others also like to have a banner and we can a a sponsor page or something like that. Then we also can buy a better domain name.
Comments are welcome here or in my email or PM

Luit

bernard3
User
User
Recommendations: 78
Last recommendation: 04 May 2017

Postby bernard3 » Sat 18 Feb 2012, 19:00

I think this is very good news for the site! Personally, I don't have any problems with one or a few small banners if that means that we can keep this site running with a reliable host. I hope this deal works out.

Bernard

nestou
User
User
Recommendations: 307
Last recommendation: 18 Dec 2017

Postby nestou » Sat 18 Feb 2012, 20:21

if a banners may is the solution i don't have problem too.

Nikos
sorry my english is not good!!!
also except the euro i collect coins from all over the world any offer is welcome.