luit
Administrator
Administrator
Recommendations: 317
Last recommendation: 29 Jul 2016
Flag: Netherlands

Looking for better hosting

Postby luit » Sat 07 Jan 2012, 14:30

Currently we hosted our site at 1Freehosting.com, but they suspended our account because the forum generated 18 emails at once.
Obviously 1Freehosting.com is a very amateuristic and bad company because they seem to be unable to handle 18 emails :twisted: :twisted:

Because we want to prevent such problems in the future we like to know if somebody has a good alternative.
This backup site is also hosted at the same company, so it can be away every moment.
In case this happens, just login to www.goodswapper.tk to see news.

Luit & Robin

Robin
Administrator
Administrator
Recommendations: 0

Re: Looking for better hosting

Postby Robin » Sat 07 Jan 2012, 14:48

we have also twitter https://twitter.com/Euroswapper

luit
Administrator
Administrator

Postby luit » Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:52

After a second suspension by 1freehosting.com, this time our backup account, I now choose another provider because I don't trust 1freehosting.com anymore.
Unfortunately there is no available backup after Saturday 7-1-2012, so the board is restored to almost a week ago. :(

This is because I cannot reach the account with FTP either and have to use a downloaded backup.

I'm not sure if this provider is better, time will tell...
I will try to backup the database at least once every day.

I had no time yet to test everything, I know the recommendation form does not work yet.
If you discover other problems just email me at goodswapper@gmail.com

Users who registered on Saturday or later, please register again.

I'm afraid in the long time we have to find a paid hosting.
Because I already spend a lot of time for which I do not get paid anything, I don't like to spend money too...

So I think we should have a donation model here where members can donate.
I think it should be voluntary to donate then, but I have to find out how to reward the donating members.
I'm thinking of offering write rights in the "for sale" section only to members who donate.
Please let me know if you think that's a good idea or when you have better ideas.

Luit

thierry
Donator
Donator
Recommendations: 226
Last recommendation: 19 Oct 2018
Flag: Belgium

Postby thierry » Fri 13 Jan 2012, 19:30

its only an idea of myself

maybe everyone give 5€ a year and then also combined with your idea free donation

Thierry

zvenket
Donator
Donator
Recommendations: 313
Last recommendation: 27 May 2018
Flag: Slovenia

Postby zvenket » Fri 13 Jan 2012, 20:35

I'm surely prepared to donate, because I know how this forum helps me collecting coins and getting a lot of useful info.
But I don't think that donation should be obligatory, because we will not get a lot of new members in this case, I suppose...

Model with access to "sale" section only for donators is nice.
My idea is that forum members who don't donate (also) can't be on good swappers list. If we add "forum ethic standard" that users with no recommendations are expected/obligated to send coins in advance, donation will be attractive, I think...

Maybe it is also good idea to donate with 2€ CC UNC or some other interesting coins...so that forum administrator(s) will get at least something for their excellent, but free work.

Elvis.

Gunmoney
User
User
Recommendations: 221
Last recommendation: 23 May 2018
Flag: Ireland

Postby Gunmoney » Fri 13 Jan 2012, 20:39

Don't know much about web hosting but think a paid hosting site is the way to go. Service providers like godaddy.com can host for 3 year from $3.74 per month, $135 or €106 for 3 years.
So it's not a lot, either by donation or even sell a few coins to raise money.

luit
Administrator
Administrator

Postby luit » Fri 13 Jan 2012, 21:00

Paid hosting indeed does not need to be expensive, but is also difficult to know which are good and which are not.
My problem with donation is that it should be fair, when we have 300 members all donating 1 euro each year we already have too much money :lol:

But I'm afraid that when everybody gets the same service, after a year nobody is paying anymore and costs are going on.
I even thought about just paying it myself, but when I see that caused by all the problems of last week I spend so much hours that I did not even find time to make deals for TYE coins for myself, I think that is not the way to go.
Don't get me wrong I like the challenges to get everything working and I still have a lot of ideas.
I also managed to restore the backup of the old euroswapper forum so that won't get lost either, in fact it would be possible to continue with the old forum when we accept that all files like attachments and avatars are lost, because they are not in the database but on the webspace of euroswapper.com.
I'm still looking for a way to copy those but did not find an automatic solution. I also look for possibilities to integrate the old forum in the new one, but that also seems not too simple.
It did some research with google and most problems with sites suspended by free hosting companies are a result of mass emails.
I have no idea why we get that problem, when I look in the member list I think most users look real users and the only think I can imagine is that the emails are caused by notifications for new posts.
Unfortunately I get zero support from those free hosting companies, so I do'nt know the exact cause.
They just send an email that the account is suspended and ask you to get in contact as soon as possible to get the site back online, but now it is almost a week ago I contacted the free hosting company and they still did not answer...

Luit

trancemaster2k
User
User
Recommendations: 173
Last recommendation: 27 Jun 2018
Flag: Germany

Postby trancemaster2k » Fri 13 Jan 2012, 21:51

Here in Germany we have some serious companies offering professional websites for some Euro/month like 1&1.
Maybe it's possible to donate via PayPal for international money transfer.
But I don't know which benefits paying members should get...

As I am no active member on social networks maybe it's possible to partially move to twitter, facebook whatever to create user groups.

Members on the goodswappers list could be contacted via old forum / message on goodswappers list to send their email/facebook/twitter contact details including website urls.
So it's easier for swappers to get in contact.
This list shouldn't be available on the web so maybe a
seperated website could be build with users to login first to reach that list.

Anyway, hopefully this current hosting company (which one?) is more reliable.
Keep up the good work!

Bye, Oliver

Tuno
Donator
Donator
Recommendations: 88
Last recommendation: 07 Mar 2016
Flag: Spain

Postby Tuno » Sat 14 Jan 2012, 11:15

zvenket wrote:
Model with access to "sale" section only for donators is nice.

My idea is that forum members who don't donate (also) can't be on good swappers list. If we add "forum ethic standard" that users with no recommendations are expected/obligated to send coins in advance, donation will be attractive, I think...

Hello,

I´m 100% agree with Zvenket, I think there is not other way to avoid situations like yesterday.

Regards

friedrich45
Donator
Donator
Recommendations: 916
Last recommendation: 14 Nov 2018
Flag: Austria

Postby friedrich45 » Sat 14 Jan 2012, 12:17

Hi Luit,

first thanks for the work and the time you spend on the form.
Unfortunately I have no experience with websites

I agree Zwenket to his post.
As for the coins TYE
because you have little time you have to arrange the coins I am ready to help you and I also think of other forum users think so

Best regards from Vienna
Friedrich