Quetzal
User
User
Recommendations: 59
Flag: Spain

Coin Grades

Postby Quetzal » Tue 27 Sep 2011, 15:22

Hello everybody,

I think that some of the information that was posted in the old forum should be posted here too, in order to store some of the most important information*, and also because some new swappers who may come to the forum will find it useful. (And also, the "old" forum members will be pleased to have the information at hand).

I will post the important information in a single post (instead of multiple posts), as I think it is better. (If not, administrators may change it I suppose). Please, note that I "missed" some posts with no information (such as messages containing just "Oh! Thanks for this info" or "thanx for sharing" or the like).

*To be honest: the information that I think is important and/or relevant for this purpose.

Mints in Europe. (Original message from GUNMONEY in the old forum)
GUNMONEY wrote:This is thread split from.
http://www.euroswapper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14180

Coin grades.
Worst to best. Not taking into account the sheldon scale (US grades),

Poor
Good
Fine
Very Fine
extremely Fine
Uncirculated
FDC

BU is a statement not a grade, and is normally accompanied by a higher price.

Is there different terms use in Europe :?:

jannys33 wrote:The grade in Europe is of my knowledge:

st, stgl = BU Brillant uncirculated
unz = uncirculated
vz = Extremely fine
ss = very fine
s = fine

See here

Unfortunately, only on in German :?

pong38 wrote:As to my knowledge the only common mint quality (I need to correct here the word grading which I used) we talk about when it comes the euro is

Circ
Unc
BU
Proof

George03 wrote:"Sorry, but UNC and BU is not the same!

UNC = new from mint, whit mistake.
BU = Brillant uncirculated, a coin without every mistake. Also under the magnifying glass no scratches are noticeable and the mint shine is completely received."

@jannys33:

Sorry yannys, I do not agree with your statement.
1) If I get a roll at the bank with uncirculated coins, I can also choose a perfect one with no scratches and completely mint shine. So an uncirculated coin can be a BU coin....hmmm...???

2) In Germany you can buy the official mint sets in "Stempelglanz, St". You call an st coin = BU coin. Please show me one official BU mint set of Germany, where the coins have no scratches and the mint shine is completely received.....??? I always buy the german mint sets in BU or Proof directly from the issuer and you always have scratches and even fingerprints on it. All the other countries (except Autria and France) its the same !!!!

You have so much gradings in Europe and all over the world. Everyone can call the condition of the coin as he likes, because there are no exact definitions. See the pictures and grade yourself... thats the only possibility.

@pong:
Circ, Unc, BU and Proof.... its also difficoult to grade. Proof ok, its a different mintage (but I also know proof coins with scratches and fingerprints, directly got from the issuer!)
UNC and BU hmmm... in Portugal you have UNC sets, BU sets and FDC sets.... but what means what? Surely it should mean UNC is good quality, FDC is better quality and BU is the best quality. But no grade/statement does mean that there are no scratches or something else.

@gunmoney:
Unfortunatly you are right. BU (in my opinion also Proof or FDC) is a statement and not a grade. Thats the real problem. What is a statement, what is a grade and of course what is called how in which country?...

George03

ToreT wrote:Hi

I accept pong´s grade BUT

-Circ
-Unc
-Bu
-Proof
--------------------------------------------
-DIAMOND PROOF

Finland use even better quality than proof.
It is DIAMOND PROOF quality.
Finland was first country of world who start using diamond proof technique.

Regards
Tore T

Ps. New Finland 2€ CC 2007 is available.

:arrow: toretormanen@gmail.com

pong38 wrote:@George03 and ToreT (happy birthday ;) )

Circ
Unc
BU
Proof
and for Finland "Diamond proof"
and Holland has "Prooflike"

are not really grades.

Maybe it is better to call it "mint quality"
In my opinion the term "grades" is used for classify coins for trading or swapping.

For example...
A coin from in BU set (with the intention and specification to mint it in BU quality) can be graded lower or higher afterwards. US grading companies have their own scales (Google)

A fine example are the coins from Austria. Compare the BU coins from the Austrian mint with i.e. the Spanish mint. Both are BU but individually you can grade a coin higher or lower.

George03 wrote:@pong38:

Thank you for the congratulations!!!
Wish you also a nice X-mas ( ;) )

George03
Do not fear perfection, you'll never reach it (by Salvador Dali, Spanish painter)
My list of coins: http://www.alumnos.unican.es/uc28689/Euro-swap.xls

Robin
Administrator
Administrator
Recommendations: 0
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Coin Grades

Postby Robin » Wed 28 Sep 2011, 14:11

jannys33 wrote:The grade in Europe is of my knowledge:

st, stgl = BU Brillant uncirculated
unz = uncirculated
vz = Extremely fine